Saturday, January 30, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy











Yesterday was great, but today was even better.
Yesterday, I got the courage to walk into this church, Unity Church, here in Santa Barbara and ask them if I could have permission to photograph the building's exterior. I needed something to shoot for my assignment this week in school, so I wanted to shoot what I love: architecture.
Now this church isn't like any normal church, especially around here in Santa Barbara. It doesn't have shingles, it isn't white/cream stucco. This church is made of brick, steel, and glass. Majority of it is brick which you can see in the picture below. I got there around 10:30am, shot till around 12:30pm, then went back around 3:30 and left around 4:30pm. My shoot in the later morning was much better in terms of lighting than the early afternoon time. Shadows were casted by trees on the structure and its many facades. I was intrigued by this church's linearity with strong horizontal and vertical lines. There was not one curve on this building, and that is what I love the most.

The two photos above are just one of many images I shot. This is the one I chose for my assignment. The black and white image is the actual assignment. Personally I like the image in b/w than in color.
Some of you might think its pretty boring to have a building with no curves, but I am a modernist and squares and rectangles are what I love. So I photographed it, before Sunday because of the service, and because the photograph's deadline is this Monday. HA!
On another note! Yesterday I got an email from a teacher of mine, stating that Hristo Shindov is shooting up in Santa Ynez/Solvang a Hristo rea, and needs 2-3 assistants to help out at the shoot. I have no clue why, but I decided I'd actually check my Brooks student email, and low and behold there was my teacher's forwarded email to us from. I thought about it for about 10 minutes thinking about if I could do it schedule wise, and if I could do it assistant wise. Well, I was the first one to contact him immediately and am 1 of the 3 people assisting him. Check out his website: Hristo Shindov. His work is really good and legit. Great compositing, and his lighting and technique are something I've never seen before, especially someone that has graduated from Brooks Institute.

We'll see how that goes on Tuesday at 8am O_O!


No comments:

Post a Comment